Sunday 31 August 2008

Light In the Darkness of the Post-War Era




A 195os childhood spent in a drab northern town was illuminated by posters for Startrite shoes, by Christmas annuals or the sight of rainbow starlings splashing in a puddle..... and Aunty Dorothy's bright lipstick left on a cup....
Best of all, and before me now even as I write, is 'The Whopper Paint Book'. Inside its cheerful cover is a world of cute puppies, ducklings, kittens, piglets and foals to colour in - some of whom are happily cohabiting with different species!
I wasn't as keen on the racing cars or the planes- even though the Vickers Valiant is one of the most up-to-date of British bombers and the Supermarine Swift was flown by Lieutenant commander Mike Lithgow. Not to mention the Sunbeam Talbot, "one of Britain's leading hopes in competitive motoring"!
In 'the Twins Birthday Party' their aproned and smiling mother cooks and organises games and father puts in a vague, suited appearance at the end.
"All the children are wearing gay clothes at the party " and we should "give the little girls gay dresses", Jumbo is grey and he has on a yellow jumper, Teddy is golden brown, leaves are green, but-look out! One of these Toadstool Houses is quite different from the rest!

2 comments:

harry bell said...

It's astonishing, but as soon as I saw the cover of the book I remembered it! The interior pictures mean nothing to me, and I'm sure I would never have coloured so carefully between the lines, but the cover is a vivid memory. Thank you for dredging it up.

Caroline said...

Lovely to hear from you Harrybell and I was pleased you remembered the paint book- I'd been hoping someone's memory would be revived!
Looked at your blogspot and (as a fellow townscape artist) really liked your work.